Friday, December 26, 2008
Thursday, December 25, 2008
My first pattern
Tie the ribbon a bit tighter and you'll get a completely different/smaller bag look!
(Consider if you have little stuff to put in the bag)
Monday, December 22, 2008
I use the upholstery fabric for the lining, thus that makes the bag more sturdier
The business was a success, at first as our little 'Creative Shack' had a unique and colorful setup and stuffs. Most of the items we had in our shop were from Thailand. So, we used to travel a lot to Haatyai, Thailand. I also bought some books on how to make crystal beads accessories which were written in Thai. The pictures it selves explain every step, so, unable to understand the language wasn't a problem at all!
But, after a few months, during the last term school holidays in 2005 (if I'm not mistaken) the locals spending ability in Jitra, Kedah has slow down until one day we just had to gave up on the business. What a lost! We learned to realized that in accessories demand (in small town) goes with the seasons. The sales were bad for over 8 out of the 12 months. The locals were not buying but business depended mostly on visitors from outside (tourists).
And now, with a fresh start. Fresh project. Fresh business and fresh air too. Both of us are planning to make bags and batik design tunics and tops for both local and international (online) markets. I hope this time we will succeed.
Wish us luck, dear friends.
The first stop was Nagoya textiles store. There were a lot of beautiful fabrics in this store. Oh my, I just couldn't decide what fabrics to buy and left the shop without buying anything! Oh dear! That is my biggest problem. You see, I am taking everything into considerations before buying things, for examples, the costs, what if another store offer better fabrics...etc...etc...etc...and every time I will end up empty handed and I will regret it later on. Sigh.
Monday, December 15, 2008
...wearing it with my favourite Giordano jeans
This is my latest creation. Azalea-nna. A simple twin sister of Azalea pattern from Burdastyle. I had to choose between these two fabrics. My husband's checkered kain pelikat and my batik sarong. But of course I've chose my batik sarong - em, it's actually because my husband's kain pelikat is more expensive than my batik sarong, HA!
I skipped the upper and front pieces of the dress due to not enough fabric or matching fabric. Ugh...I don't wear dresses, well, not when I go out. Don't feel that I have sexy legs to show-off! Haha...And so I shorten it a bit and make it into a more A-shape. Still thinking whether I should add the belt detailed as in Azalea original design...Hmm...
The materials I use to make this azalea-nna are the leftover navy blue lightweight cotton for the yokes and my final batik sarong. Oh, yes, I also skipped the zipper attachment and luckily it can be made as pullover mini-dress, if not...
Well, okay, the truth is, I don't have the guts to attached the zipper...But hope one day I will.
So, this is it. My mini-dress..a.k.a tunic Azalea-nna with batik sarong design!! Tell me what you think.
P/S: I'm planning to buy more batik sarong since they make beautiful and unique creations if it goes with suitable designs. And will update on what is kain batik and pelikat
The most important things is that I get to show the beauty of Malays/Indonesian traditional batik sarong designs to the world.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
So, I guess it suits Harraz better with that size. By the way, Nas is a bit fussy with everything :)
I added a little pocket on the front of the backpack, a flap, a wooden button and a white ribbon for closure.
Though it is a small bag, but it fits perfectly his extra shirt and toys when we go out to the park.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Our children really enjoy themselves though they barely touch the water! Haha...I guess that's the joy of being kids. You can have fun with almost everything...or nothing.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Sunday, December 7, 2008
I came out with the idea to make a casing for my camera after reading verypurpleperson's blog, Birthday Gift. My camera's original casing is old and had worn off. So, I decided to make a new one for her...actually 3 but the 2 was a failure because I had problem on sewing the bias. After all, she had been sharing all the sweet and sour moments with me for the past 3 years. I should make new outfit for her. That's the least I can do.
Anyway, all the hard work really paid off when I finally...finally finished it! Yay!
I'm not satisfied with the bias attachment but overall it was okay.The original casing
The first attempt...Oh no!!
The final attempts...Yay!!
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Pattern from Studio-clip.com
Saturday, November 29, 2008
This is my first attempt on making clothes. My first choice was this Sadie pattern from Burdastyle. It is very easy to make but unfortunately it's a bit small for me (thought my size was 36, but nooo...I think 38 or 40, or maybe depends on what fabrics I use, if it's a stretchable fabrics, 36 is fine).
Anyway, I'm so proud! And definitely will buy a serger or a portable sewing machine so that I don't need to send to other tailor to serge the edges. Did I mention that I'm using Singer 3191 D200A industrial sewing machine!
Nas and Harraz are playing with what they love most...soil!
My husband and Hadif